Thursday, April 21, 2011

Seven Years Married

Bob Posted this on his face book I thought it was worth saving.

7 years ago yesterday I married my best friend. . .literally. All in all we've known eachother about 20 years, started on the playground in 3rd grade. . .I was much skinnier back then.
In my mind we were always dating. I mean, come on, I "went out" with her when I was in 7th grade and she was in 6th. Even though we went to different schools, couldn't drive, and really only saw eachother when her bus passed by, it was true love. . .true love that could only last 2 weeks or so.
Then in High School, Jody always looked me up and down in the halls and bit her lip when she saw me. I kissed her once in High School. It was dark, I was nervous. . .I think I kissed her on the chin. . .awkward, but she still got excited! We both were always in choir and drama together. My Senior year, her Junior, we got the lead roles in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and played husband and wife (Adam and Milly Pontipee). She couldn't resist my singing or the lyrics on the opening number, "Bless Your Beautiful Hide". I even got to pretend kiss her many many times in rehersal and during the play, which for me was a step up from the unforgettable chin kiss.
So, I graduated and went to ASU so I could get an education that would one day support our family. And can you believe that she was dating someone else this whole time while I was partying, I mean studying. So, after I finished my studies which consisted of one semester of Rel 101, Mat 106, Eng 101, and a class to prepare me for college, I was done with college.
So, I came back and Jody was off doing her own thing, dating somebody, getting really tan as a life guard, looking really hot. . .making me jealous. So, I got myself a girlfriend. Long long long story short, I met with the mormon missionaries who, in partnership with the Spirit, dispelled all of my false beliefs about the LDS Church and I was converted and baptized (a story in and of itself). Jody sang at my baptism.
A year and a half later neither of us had a significant other, so you would think we would FINALLY start dating. Nope, we decided to do the right thing, put it off for at least another two years and serve missions. (Are you kidding me?) Now, I was dead set on a mission, but Jody was unsure. I tried my best to convince her it was "the right thing to do", but really I just wanted to keep her boyfriendless for another year and half. . .greatly increasing my odds of getting to date her.
So, we went. . .landed in the MTC together for an entire month. No, NOTHING happened, strictly handshakes and I-think-I-am-going-to-marry-you smiles. We both went to Europe; Russia and Holland. We didn't write too often though because I was busy teaching and doing 100% Speak Your Language and Jody was really busy learning about Dutch cuisine.
So, she got back about 5 months before I did and sent me a letter. The letter stated something to the effect of, "oh I'm just kinda hanging out here waiting to see what happens". Now, I was a missionary, but I wasn't totally naive to what she was hinting at. Naturally, this sent off a barrage of flashing ligts and alarms in my head for which I had to cut off all power because, let's face it, I still had 5 months.
So, I get back, fly into Phoenix and from there I am supposed to fly into Flagstaff where my family and Jody are waiting for me. Well, the flight was scheduled wrong, so I couldn't meet them. Luckily some of my high school friends were at the airport. They offered for me to stay with them. They listened to heavy metal the whole way home and showed me my room which had posters of swimsuit models everywhere. As a returned missionary, I was very grateful and quite appalled at the same time. . .strange.
So, I finally see Jody, still not released from my mission. So, I shake her hand and give her the are-we-getting-married smile. That night she tells me she loves me and wants to date exclusively. . .I can barely speak English let alone properly reply. . .so I told her I would pray about it!!! So we date and she drops hints all day that she wants me to kiss her, but all I can think about is the chin kiss. So, finally she takes me and she kisses me. After 4 months of official off-and-on dating and, well let's just say multiple proposals, we get married!!
We've known each other for about 20 years now and have been married 7 years. We have two amazing kids and another precious girl on the way. Jody asked me how I felt about the last 7 years and I think our history alone speaks volumes. I know I have been everything but a perfect or even a good husband, but I do love my wife. I've learned a lot about my wife even though I thought I knew everything about her. Most importantly, I have realized how patient, loving, and forgiving she is. She is a great example to me and I hope these memories will live on and be a part of a great heritage for our posterity. This really is a tribute to our marriage and to my wonderful wife.

No comments: